Convert your overseas licence

overseas licence

Sources: Vicroads website

Are you converting your oversea licence to Victorian licence?

Your licence must be verified prior to booking the following tests:

    • Road Law Knowledge Test
    • Hazard Perception Test
    • Drive Test
    • Search for more info here:
    • If your overseas drivers licence is from a Recognised Country or a country where driving experience IS recognised, you may not need to take a test.
    • Rules for temporary and permanent visas holders

      Temporary Visa

      If you hold a temporary visa:

      • you are not required to get a Victorian driver licence and/or learner permit
      • you can drive using your current overseas driver licence for the length of your stay
      • your driver licence must be written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit.

      Permanent Visa

      If you hold a permanent visa (issued under the Migration Act 1958) you may drive on your overseas driver licence if it's written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit for:

      • 6 months from the date you first entered Australia (if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia), or
      • 6 months from the date when the permanent visa was issued (if the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia).

      If you want to continue driving in Victoria after this time you must get a Victorian driver licence. If your overseas driver licence has expired, you will still be able to take the drive test as you are exempt from holding a learner permit for the test.

      Once you are issued with a Victorian driver licence or learner permit, it is against the law to use your overseas or interstate driver licence to drive in Victoria.

      Overseas learner permit

      A learner permit from overseas cannot be used to drive in Victoria.

      If you have an overseas learner permit you will still need to take a road law knowledge test at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to get a Victorian licence.

Back to Top